Monday 18 November 2013

From Accra With Love...

Hello people!!
I really don't know where to start in writing this post because the experience was a bit much to put into words, so I'm just gonna freestyle. First of all I have to give thanks to God who granted us a safe trip to Accra; the capital city of Ghana, for the Glitz Africa Fashion Week (GAFW). It was my first time there and I was quite excited that I didn't even let my shirt which ripped at the airport bother me (don't ask). The fashion week ran from Thursday to Saturday at the International Conference Centre, Accra. 

Right from touchdown, the Hse of Nwocha (HON) crew & I went straight to the Oak Plaza Hotel and after resting for a bit, next was fittings for the HON Summer 2014 collection I told y'all about in my previous post. 




The HON crew (NJ, Ugonna & I)


Waking up from a night of adjustments, styling, running orders & cross checking the beautiful Friday morning came, and after a delicious breakfast we set off to set up the clothes & rehearse with the models. 

When all that was settled we made a quick dash back to the hotel to get swagged up despite the close-of-work-traffic-warning we got from new Ghanaian friends. lol. Check out our day-to-night looks in HON head-to-toe (well asides the shoes & denim for now *wink*). Watcha think?



As for the collection itself tagged 'White Rose' its all about free flower fun in the summer sun in floral print fabrics of beautiful colours. The pieces are detailed with assymetric cuts, layered lace, cut-outs, crystal beadwork and include both fitted & free flowing dresses, tops, skirts & even the season's latest trend; dungarees, all modelled by Ghana's finest! I hope these pictures carry the full gist of how good the pieces look!!

































It was amazing, trust me! After all said and done we dragged our tired bodies to the hotel's friday night sit out thing where I got to meet other designers & fashionistas from across Africa. I even got to find out the meaning of the South African hit song; Khona! 

I definetly didn't plan to miss Saturday's GAFW finale show since I was too tired on Thursday & busy backstage on Friday. It felt really good for once, to sit & enjoy the show; not working. So big shout outs to all the Nigerian designers who showcased (MAI, Moofa, Clemas, Vonne, Wana Sambo who won an award for best new retail designer) and all African designers pushing boundaries.  


Ghanaian songstress; Efya strutting the runway

Big Brother stars; Barbz & Vimbai in Vonne Couture

a bashful Wana Sambo receiving her award

Since I was to fly out Sunday evening I planned to do a little hanging out & sight seeing in Accra. All those plans went south when I was hijacked to style a photoshoot for Complete Fashion magazine summarizing the GAFW and consisting of pieces I selected from various designers that showcased. So I'm quite grateful to God that this trip not only got me my first magazine styling job, but it was international too. Look out for it guys!! 

From the shoot it was a race to the airport and from that point I started to feel like I was in Lagos already where no matter what you do you'd probably still be late thanks to traffic. No matter how late sha there's always time for a 'selfie'. I have tried to resist the vanity, but the Instagram vibe I feel is becoming stronger by the day so y'all better be ready. 


All in all, Accra is a beautiful place of calm & welcoming people. I love it & hope to visit again soon.

Stay Haute
Sir Binna.

HON runway photos courtesy Paul Ukonu 

No comments:

Post a Comment